Friday, February 26, 2010

Hello My Name is Joe

And I work for a button factory

I have a dog, a house and a family
and one day my boss, he said to me 
he said "Joe? Are you busy?" 
and I said no
"So turn this button with your right foot"

I'm sure you haven't heard this song, but it describes my life beautifully. And I imagine every other mom's life as well. Joe's boss keeps piling it on until poor Joe is turning buttons with both fee, both hands, his head and his tongue! It's only when he's using his tongue that he finally says "YES!" when his boss asks if he is busy. It's actually a really cute, funny song for kids by Andy Morse that you should all go out and find. 

Anyway, we had a whirlwind of a busy week last week for school break. We were home for 3 days, but hosted playdates on all of them, and were out the rest of the week. It was, as the kids say, off the hook. I think. I'm not really sure what off the hook means. Except when it's referring to a phone. Ooh, which would make the phone busy. Ha, so it is applicable! That my friends, is my thought-process. Yeah, busy week. It was wonderfully busy, but I thought that I should take this week off to get everything back under control and do all the things I didn't the week before. I had to write a couple of articles. I had to plan my next preschool playdate (L is for Listening). I had to pay bills (still have to). I managed to get some laundry done and straighten up the big messes that accumulated after a week of children in my house. I just had so much to DO. Not to mention get on the treadmill (3 times this week). But my week did not go as planned. The Princess is usually so good about entertaining herself, but she might be getting to the "I need to play with YOU" stage. Or maybe it was just too much attention the previous week. Or maybe Venus was in retrograde. Once again, I don't really know what that means. Luckily we had a snow day on Wednesday that coincided with the Princess's ultrasound so Daddy was already scheduled to be home. That kind of broke up the week of no-fun. By today we were both a little punchy. I think we need more balance (how many times have I said that!). We need to have some at-home time but an entire week is just too much. 

Who am I?

So yeah, by today I felt like I was turning buttons with all of my limbs trying to keep everyone fed and happy and out of trouble. The biggest problem is that I am getting up too late and staying up too late and that makes me get up too late the next morning and I'm stuck in this cycle. And I really wish I could go back to the me 10 years ago and say, hey, you sleeping until 10 am, someday you will get up at 6:30 and you will say "damnit! I'm up late again!". Yes. 6:30 is LATE to me now. I need to just suck it up and get out of bed and then I will be tired enough at 9:30 at night to sleep. I also need to stop watching TV at night and get off the interwebs. Like now. Gah. 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comment:

Shinesalot said...

You know I know that song! :) And I feel that way often...