Thursday, March 3, 2011


It would have been so easy to say no. Just like I did at 5:30 am when my alarm went off. I had no problem saying no then. But I didn't say no, and after a horrifically long day I put my kids to bed and got on the treadmill.

The girls both have colds and the Princess had a low fever on Tuesday. I hemmed and hawed and then followed my gut and brought them both in to the doc (mistake--I should have made one appointment and then smiled sweetly and said, can you just look in Chewie's ears too? Instead I made an appointment for both of them and had to pay 2 copays. $40!) They both have ear infections. It took forever at the doc since they both had to be examined (after a long wait too), then the Princess had to pee in a cup just in case, then we had to pick up their amoxicillin, then we got to go home. We left at 10 am and didn't get back until 1:30. We had lunch and I knew there was no way I was running during naptime. It was after 2 by the time we were upstairs. I had to get SkyWalker off the bus and I usually get out there by 2:37-2:40. Ugh. So, no run. I got SkyWalker, the Princess still wasn't sleeping and Chewie took a very short nap so there was no run then either. I spent the rest of the day holding Chewie while she cried about various things and arguing with SkyWalker about his reading homework. After "we" put the kids to bed, luckily earlier than usual, I did the dishes and watched the clock and thought about how I just wanted to sit on the couch and snuggle with my iPad.

Instead I laced up my sneakers and headed downstairs. I did my intervals--Wednesday is always intervals--and thought about cutting it short. Modern Family is on Wednesday nights! But I have DVR for a reason. I had planned on doing just 3 fast quarters and then trying to run slowly in between instead of walking. I really wanted to minimize the walking. So I started out with a slow run for half mile (5.0 speed) instead of a warmup walk. Then I went right into the first fast quarter (6.9 speed). I ran at 4.5-5 for the next quarter. I couldn't keep it up though. I had to walk after the next fast quarters. But that's better than before. I did a 4th "fast" quarter at 6.0 which doesn't really count but I wanted to do a little extra to make up for having to walk.

I showered, watched Parenthood and then Modern Family, and it all worked out. I was really happy that I didn't let myself get away with any excuses and I did what I wanted to do. But evening running really just isn't for me. I have GOT to get my butt out of bed in the morning and run before the kids get up so my day time is less stressed.

I'm currently listening to Chewie coughing in her crib. I'm glad I'm not planning on running now because I'm pretty sure this nap is going to be cut short too.

Someday when my last child is in school, I will be able to run whenever I want to. Outside! I just have to wait another 7 years or so.


Suzy said...

I hope all are feeling better! Good for you to try to reduce the walking. When I started doing something like you did I could only run through the first one or two rests. Over time it will get easier!

Tribe Mama said...

OK, doing the math that leaves room for one more baby since Chewie will be in school in 3.5 years :)

GoddessLibrarian said...

Of course. I need a 4th so we can play board games properly.

anotheryarn said...

Sorry to hear about the ear infections but go you for running!