Saturday, March 1, 2014

And February is done



I always make some sort of excuse for my February stats saying that it's the shortest month so I had less time to run. I'm really pleased that I didn't use that as an excuse this month. Even with taking most of the February break off from running & exercise, I still did pretty well.

Stats:

Mileage: 58.9
Runs: 11
Cross Training days: 9 (I'm including days I shoveled snow instead of following routines, because I did a lot of that)

I ran 5 fewer days than I did in January but only 3.1 less miles. Last February I ran 34.3, so I am definitely going up. I'm doing better with my tempo runs and still doing well with the intervals. I had been focusing on increasing my speed for each fast interval and lengthening the time of the fast portions, but last Thursday I decided to take a different approach. I went back to doing just 30 seconds at 7:30 (8.0 with 1% incline), but instead of walking each slow part, I ran slow. I wound up walking only 4 of them (compared to 12), so I was pretty happy. It's all well and good to get my faster parts faster, but if I have to walk after each one I'm not going to make that much progress. So for now, I'm going to master running in between each interval and then bump up the speed again.

I should be out doing my long run right now, but it's cold. I just don't have it in me to do it now. I also don't have any motivation to do 8 miles on the treadmill. I am afraid tomorrow won't work either because it's going to--surprise--snow again. If SkyWalker wins his basketball game later today, he'll be playing in the semifinals tomorrow anyway. His team has won one of the tournament games and lost another, so this game will decide it. I am technically not in training for anything specific, so I am okay with skipping it this weekend if I have to. Sometimes you need to let life be in charge.

No comments: