Saturday, April 6, 2013

Giving it my all

I'm sure you're all dying to know how it went.

If you don't feel like clicking back, here's what I was hoping for:

C. Beat 29:25 my last time for this race.
B. 28 minute range
A. Beat my overall PR of 27:35

We got there in time for the kids race and all 3 mobile jedi children ran. The eldest complained that I signed him up for the 200 meter dash instead of the 1 mile but I think we all know what would have happened if I had signed him up for the mile! They all had fun and that's what counts. I think I will sign SkyWalker up for the mile next year... and listen to him complain about it being too much.

I then stood in the cold wind for another 45 minutes waiting for the race to start. Last year, when I was pregnant and didn't run, it was 70 and beautiful. This year was much like my first year, cold and windy. The sun was strong and that was nice but the air was just cold. I don't like to be late, I don't like to rush, and I get stressed out if it feels like I'm going to be late. But 45 minutes in the chilly air was a bit much.

There's always a half-naked dude. What the hell?
I found some friends and stood way too close to the front. Will I ever learn? I even said this is too close but I didn't move. And when I started out too fast I said, this is too fast. When I passed the first mile marker it said 8:00 and I thought crap. (Although my garmin says 8:50. Who knows. It's a trail run and the garmin is probably less accurate in the woods.) I knew I couldn't maintain an 8 mile pace for 3 miles. Not yet. I slowed down a bit but not too much. Then I sped up a bit but not too much.

Trying to smile. 
The sand wasn't as bad as I had thought last time and I didn't have any problems with the roots and branches and rocks. I did step on one rock that could have led to something bad but luckily it didn't. I tried to just focus on running my own race, not tripping, and just being happy that I was doing this. I also tried, as much as I could, to look around me at the river and the scenery and enjoy the moment. That was harder to do.

But trail runs are hard. They feel entirely different from running on pavement. It's not a bad thing, just different. I had my Merrell Pace Gloves on because they are trail shoes and I didn't want to get my Dash Gloves too dirty. Yes, I said I didn't want to get my shoes too dirty. I've done my last two treadmill runs with the Pace Gloves so I remembered what they feel like (there's a half size different between my Pace & Dash Gloves) but it was still a bit different.

Just slapped the Princess's hand.
I hit the 3 mile mark at 27 something and thought I could get there by 28. Then when I came out of the woods I saw my Jedi and their smiling little faces and the Princess reaching out for a high-five and I slowed down a little and veered so I could slap the Princess's outstretched hand and then ran as fast as I could towards the finish. I managed 28:26. Could I have beaten 28 if I hadn't gone for her hand? Maybe. Do I care? Not much.

I would have been thrilled with an overall PR, with anything faster than 28, but I'm pretty happy with how I did. It wasn't an easy race, I had a hard time breathing in the cold air, and as I was running I felt like I was giving it my all. I am still sneezing and coughing and having my post-race running induced allergy attack and I STILL (hours later) feel like I can't breathe too deeply. So I think I really did give it my all. Particularly when I remember I just had my 4th baby 8 months ago!

And that's what matters.


Jennifer K. said...

Hi! I found your blog through Runningbloggers on Twitter. First - beautiful page! I have to figure out how to create a banner. Second - Congrats on the PR, especially given the weather. Cold weather always presents a challenge.

GoddessLibrarian said...

Thanks! It wasn't as cold as it could have been, but definitely colder than I'd hoped for!

Anonymous said...

GO YOU! That's awesome.

And I agree, that high five was totally better than the maybe 26 seconds.

Highfive to you for being awesome!