Thursday, January 25, 2007

What's the point?

I just finished my anime movie program. With one teen. Where are the big numbers everyone promised me? I wouldn't have even done it for the one teen but when I got in the room (I left at 6:10 to canvas the area and returned at 6:15) she had already pressed play. I said "Did that start on its own?"

"No"
"Did you press play?"
"Yes"
"Well... that was pretty ballsy."

And just left it at that. And despite the fact that there was ONE teen, I am now down 4-5 cans of soda. How she went through 4-5 cans I don't really know.

I think it's safe to say that I will be cancelling my February program and not doing this again. Everything is cyclical right? We'll focus on the tween programming now, get another core group in here, and they will grow up to be teenagers.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

5 comments:

OxygenGirl said...

I like your tag "ballsy teens". I think everyone can pretty much relate to that. I hope your next experience with a teenager is a bit more thrilling!

superfizz said...

Is there any interest in learning to draw anime? Was it just an off night? Have you had other successful teen programs in February or just in general? I know that our YA librarians have had massive success with DDR. Have you tried that?

cyclone said...

I've read that some local libraries in my area are experiencing a boost in manga interest with teens, but I haven't heard much about anime movie programs in libraries. Maybe the chosen anime didn't seem interesting to those who heard about it. I would've cracked open a can of soda and asked the ballsy teen why she came--maybe get some suggestions to see if the program needed tweaking. Good luck next time.

Jedi Mama said...

We have had success with DDR. We've had huge successes with lots of programs in the past... and those kids have graduated and now we're in a lull again. It's all good, we're concentrating on the tweens, building our core up again and I will just take a much deserved little break from worrying about programming.

Bee said...

She is a pretty ballsy, straight-forward gal... I could not believe how blunt she was with me a few times... Let's just hope she puts that energy to good use instead of being a bully!