Friday, August 18, 2006

Parenting is a pissing contest

I overslept today. That's not exactly true. I was awake, I just didn't get out of bed until I hit the "Oh crap I have no time" mark. Friday mornings are especially hard because I work Thursday nights. Anyway, I had to ask the husband (Vader) for help this morning. I was in the bathroom getting myself ready and I could hear him going up the stairs. Through the monitor I heard my son (SkyWalker) start saying "Mama!!" because he heard footsteps on the stairs. Then I heard the gate swing open, and he said "Mama!" again and Vader said "Nope, it's Daddy." And I'm pretty sure SkyWalker responded with "Mama?".

And this all amused me. For many months the answer to any question was "Daddy!". When Daddy comes home SkyWalker runs screaming "Hi Daddy!". Daddy, Daddy, Daddy. But now it's Mama!! I won the pissing contest this morning.

I don't answer those QOTD things, but interestingly enough I was going to talk about neighbors anyway. Three houses down from us there is a kid. I know I saw someone sitting on the front porch with a baby-like person. There is now one of those wooden playsets in the backyard that I've been coveting. And when I passed by last night there was a box out with the trash that was for one of those big plastic car things I've been wanting to get SkyWalker, so I'm wondering if the kid is close to his age. To put this in more perspective, all of the lots around my house (including mine) are on 6 acres. So I can't get a real good view of how old the kid is or what these people look like. I've been wanting to stop by because how cool would that be to have a kid close to SkyWalker's age that he could be friends with? That he would go to school with? Maybe even be in the same grade. And it would be nice for me too, since I am lacking in the friends department and if/when my best friend moves away I will be alone again.

But going over there and introducing myself and SkyWalker would take A) initiative B) more walking than I'm used to and C) friendliness. I have no idea who these people are. I can't call ahead. And as a mom, I really don't want to just stop by. What if it's nap time? What if the kid is younger than I thought and it's nursing time or bottle time? What if they're mean? What if they don't like us? What if they're too friendly and we don't like them? And despite my no-holds barred public persona that you all know, I'm somewhat quiet and shy and not the friendliest with people I don't know. Do I bite the bullet and be nice for my kid's sake? Because I don't want him to have a hard time making friends. Do I leave a note in the mailbox introducing myself and saying I didn't want to interrupt a nap time by just showing up uninvited and then leave it in their hands? Do I get insulted if they don't respond?

It's hard enough making friends as an adult, but making friends as a parent is even harder. But boy would I like to play on that wooden playset.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comment:

wickedlibrarian said...

I vote the note route. Leave a brief, friendly, "HI, I'm your neighbor, ladeeda, yadda yadda, husband's name, son's name and age, etc. etc., hope to see you around, give me a call if you ever need anything, sincerely, YOU." And then don't be offended if they don't answer. You lose nothing and you might gain a friend, and a FUN PLAYSET, wooo!