Thursday, August 10, 2006

Potty training

It turns out potty training is not as direct as I thought it would be. Simply saying "here's the potty, now poop" doesn't work. We're an open-poop household-- there have been many times when all 5 of us have been in the bathroom together while someone is pooping (husband, me, kid, and 2 dogs), so you would think the kid would naturally want to join in. I didn't really think it would be easy, and we haven't even really started, but I can already see it's going to be a pain in my butt. He knows when he has to poop, he says "A poopoo" not only after he's gone but also when he just has the urge to go. That's all good. He sits on the potty fully clothed and rides it like a motorcycle. I guess that's good. But when it comes to sitting on it for it's intended purpose, no way. He squirms and whines when he needs his diaper changed, but just won't listen to logic. Who knew 22 month olds aren't so good in the logic department? Okay, everyone.

Oh no, what's that smell?


Read and post comments | Send to a friend

5 comments:

wickedlibrarian said...

I know people who can still remember their potty-training days, since they were so traumatic. I don't really remember my own... other than a vague recollection of the plastic training-seat sitting next to the toilet, and a disinclination to sit on it. I remember thinking, hey, if I'm gonna poop IN something, why not that big thing there that everyone else uses, and not this plastic toy thing? Yeah, maybe not quite that coherently, but that was the gist.

Librarian Amy said...

I just love that you have poop as a tag.

masterbetty said...

What Amy said. Hee!!!

medlibrarygirl said...

Good luck with this! My baby sister still won't always go to the potty, and she's now 3 1/2. I've heard that they just start doing it when they're ready.

fauxmiddlechild said...

sending good poop thoughts!