Friday, June 5, 2009

Divine intervention

You know I've been ready for this baby for weeks if not months now. I had Vader put the infant car seat in last weekend. Everything was done. On Tuesday Vader miraculously fixed our garage door opener so we could have the van in the garage again. My BF, Shinesalot, and her son came for a visit on Tuesday and to spend the night. And although it was only going to be one night I was grateful for any time I could see her. We had a great time all day Tuesday and because SkyWalker was so comfortable with them so was the Princess. She acted like she had known my BF her entire life too. I looked forward to playing more on Wednesday before I had to take them to the train station.

And then my water broke.

Well, not quite then. Sometime shortly before 2 a.m. (why is it always in the wee hours of the morning when that happens?), I felt and heard a "pop." This is significant because at Sunday's Mom's Book Club at my house one of the moms talked about hearing and feeling a pop when her water broke. And I laughed because my water had never broken and I would rather have it done naturally than have it done by the doctor. So when I heard this pop, I said "Oh crap. No." Because on Tuesday night, or Wednesday morning really, I was only 36 1/2 weeks. I went to the bathroom and everything was fine so I thought "I'm so suggestive. It was probably just gas." I went back to bed. And then felt something shoot out of me and thought "that's weird". I went to the bathroom and saw that I was a bit wet and then that I was A LOT wet and said "Oh crap." By the time it actually all started coming out it was 2 a.m. 

On the ONE day of the year that my BF was sleeping in my house. 

Do you understand the significance of this?

My husband and I left for the hospital knowing that our sleeping children were in good hands in their own home. We had to go to a different hospital which sucked donkey ass but that's another blog post. Labor and delivery was rather uneventful and 6 hours later we had our new baby girl.* Born on Wednesday, June 3 at 8:01 a.m., she was just 2 days shy of 37 weeks, which I believe is considered full term. Not ideal, but full term. Don't tell that to the people at the hospital though who apparently enjoy saying the phrase "gestational age" a lot. Anyway, the absolute best part is that my BF was able to come to the hospital and hold my new baby girl and be a part of this for me again. And that could only be explained by divine intervention. 

*No, you're not getting pictures. That involves walking down the stairs and I'm not doing that yet. 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend


little white whale said...

Congratulations on your new baby girl!!! My water broke on its own with my first son around midnight. I had just drifted off to sleep when POP and GUSH. It sort of freaked me out.
That is so exciting! So happy for you!

Bee said...

Well... YOU may not be up to walking downstairs yet, but your hubby can always upload or e-mail pictures to people! Teeheehee... Rest up, sweetie, and congrats again!

Felice said...

That's just so great. I can't wait to meet her! I'm sorry about the hospital. I loved, loved, loved St. Peter's and had such a good experience there and it sucks that you didn't!

Shinesalot said...

I love you. :) And all your babies.

judy said...

Hey Jen! We are SO excited for you at work! We can't wait to see the new princess. I can't imagine how she could be any more adorable than her big sister. I love that her initials spell "SAM". Rest up and holler if you need any help, or food, or encouragement. We love you at the library and will miss you as you nurture this new treasure. :)Judy

bookishbiker said...

I'm so so so delighted that this went so amazingly smoothly for you. Hurrah for bf's and sleep overs and healthy babies!