Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Apple picking

Gah.


When I first told SkyWalker that he would be apple picking, the first thing he said was "With Littleman?" I said "No, honey, he's in Texas, we're going apple picking with other friends." He said "Tony?" I said "No, honey, his Mommy got a job, he's in daycare now." He wanted to go to the one we went to last year (with Littleman). I said no, we're going someplace else. I think he thought there was a slight chance if we went to the same place Littleman would miraculously be there. We went someplace near our house. I had told him that the little jobber would be there but the poor little guy boycotted his naps today, so he had to bow out. SkyWalker said "So who's going to be here?" and I wondered the same thing. We waited around and then we went apple picking by ourselves. The Princess enjoyed pointing to the "balls" and picking them up. SkyWalker asked where all the good ones were. We got the bag half full and half an hour later SkyWalker said let's go home. I said sure. As we were walking to the car, I asked him if he wanted to get a cider donut and he got excited by that. A car pulls up--the homeschooling mom. It is now 4 pm and we were supposed to meet at 3:30. She sees us and proceeds to complain about us being done already. Um, I have a 4 year old and a 16 month old, who was walking on her own, and you're half an hour late. How long did you think we'd last? She and her kids had a donut and chocolate lollipops with us and she continued to complain about A) the length of our meetups and her commute and B) no one else showing up. She asked if it was even worth it for her to come out. 

I was so nice people. So nice. I said everything I could to convey, No it's not worth it, without saying it. I wanted to say, I'm sorry that you have an hour commute, but that's the risk you take when you join a group that far away. We have little kids, we can't have meetups that are 3 hours long, and things change at the last minute! People cancel, I cancel. These things happen. If you can't deal, don't come. 

So apple-picking sucked. 

Which leads me to Halloween. 

Last Halloween was um, rather traumatic for us. The trick-or-treating was fun--our first time--but after that was well, traumatic. I really REALLY want to make nice happy pleasant memories this Halloween. The only problem is our friends all seem to be busy or won't be around here. The library is not having it's program this year. I have no idea where I'm going to take my kid and more importantly--with who. I know it's only one day and I know he will have fun Halloweens in the future, but this one, this one I really need to be a good fun one. And if it's not, that will suck donkey balls.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

4 comments:

Felice said...

Oh, crap. I'm sorry apple picking sucked. I wish we could have gone. Things are all topsy turvy here. I did get the boy to take an hour nap at 3:30 so I'm thankful for that. I don't know what we're doing for Halloween either. Maybe we can do something together? We don't have a good neighborhood for trick or treating but I'm sure we could figure something out!

Jedi Mama said...

Yes! Re-Halloween. Trick or treating. Yawn.

Gina said...

Oh goodness I can just hear her complaining to you (in that loud, painfully annoying voice). I am soooo sorry you had to deal with that alone. Please feel free to delete my mean comments about her if you think she might see it!! We will make Halloween fun this year! I'll rush from work to wherever we decide to go because I am sure Tony will already be in his costume and will be eager to go get candy and it does not take me long to get home! Maybe we can all do dinner together afterwards too (get the dads involved even)! Then we have the group party but maybe we should make it a private one because you never know who will show up :0

Bee said...

I'm sure we will have little things we could hand out if you wanted to trick-or-treat at the library... It would be fun to see you and the kids!