Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Common sense

My husband is very smart. But sometimes he is very stupid.


A couple of days ago I was explaining to SkyWalker about the Princess's surgery (in less than a week). I said I would have to stay overnight at the hospital but that Daddy and Nana would be home with him. Vader acts totally surprised. He didn't know it was an overnight. He asked if I wanted him to stay instead but I can't do that. I can't leave her. Today it dawned on me to ask him if he took Tuesday off from work too. Nope. He claims that he had asked me what days he had to take off and I said just Monday. If he did I'm sure I thought he meant the whole week which he doesn't need to do since my mom will be here until Thursday. Now, besides the fact that he was sitting in the doctor's office with me when they said she needs surgery again and that it will be an overnight, in what world do you ever get surgery and get released that day? When you're less than 2 years old??!!! This is not a procedure like September's deflux. This is invasive surgery with an incision and a scar and pain meds and the whole shebang. The possibility exists that she might have to stay more than one night, but it was only one night last time (when she was 5 months old). But there is a huge difference between the recovery time of a 5 month old and an almost-2 year old. It might take a lot longer. I'm trying to get Thursday night off from work and naturally I have to work the following weekend, but that's a lost cause. 

It's not like I need him to stay over Monday night, but if he goes in to work on Tuesday that means we'll have to take separate cars on Monday (and I really don't like driving in these situations) and I'll be all alone talking to the doctors Tuesday morning and it will all just be even more of a pain in the ass. Not to mention the fact that if it were me I wouldn't be able to go to work until I knew my baby girl was home and okay. 

It is 8:50 and we should leave for storytime at 9:30 but SkyWalker said he has too much work to do today so he can't go. He then said he wants to just stay at our home and relax. I explained that he's missing next week and he's okay with that. I'm trying to keep the Princess germ-free this week so it looks like we're not going today. Which is fine since I am still in my pajamas and not really in the mood to see anyone right now. 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

4 comments:

Felice said...

I say kick him in the shins! He needs to take Tuesday off. No question!

Jen Frey said...

Stand your ground Jen! This is a partnership! He needs to be there! You need support and you can't do this on your own!

Jedi Mama said...

He did get Tuesday off. Or at least partly off, I'm not entirely sure. I'm just glad that I thought to ask him about it now!

Bee said...

Like Flower said to me about Clark on the day of and the day after my surgery, "It's his job! He should be there worrying and helping in any way he can." Glad you smacked some sense into him...