Thursday, October 11, 2007

Curious George

We had a Curious George birthday party for SkyWalker's first birthday. He didn't know who CG was and didn't care, but we liked monkeys. Sometime within the last year when Nana was visiting she read him a Winnie the Pooh story that was a bit too long for me... so I suggested a CG story from his book, A Treasury of Curious George.

All of a sudden he loved CG. We had to read it every night. We got sick of reading the same stories over and over and there are only so many books I'm going to check out of the library, so we asked for two more books for his 3rd birthday. The New Adventures of Curious George and the Complete Adventures of Curious George. When I started looking into it I discovered the one we had, the Treasure one was not "original". They were newer stories. As are the New Adventures. And some reviews were all "boo, these are not originals and therefore bad". So I decided to get the Complete Adventures too since those stories are the originals from 60 years ago. Guess what? They are LONG, meandering, and boring. I much prefer the newer CG stories when the title of the story actually has something to do with the plot. In CG Flies a Kite he starts out kicking a ball, then he lets some rabbits out of a cage and loses a bunny and has to find the bunny, then he goes fishing, then he finally flies a kite and gets blown away and has to be rescued by the Man in the Yellow Hat who never properly supervises him anyway. It's 50 some odd pages and I'm looking for the damn kite the entire time. I can't believe that *I'm* saying that, but for bedtime read alouds I groan every time he reaches for the Complete Adventures and wants to read CG goes to the hospital for the 50 millionth time.

I just realized that I better get a book to bring to the hospital with me on Monday, particularly since I am staying with the Princess by myself Monday night. I don't know how much sleeping I'll be able to do. I need a nice fluffy book that doesn't require much focus...I don't think I did any reading when SkyWalker had his surgery but that was only a couple of hours and wasn't an overnight recovery. I still can't believe that this is happening on Monday. It's good to get it over with and I'm glad I don't have to worry about Thanksgiving getting messed up. But it just seems so soon. Then again we've known this was a possibility since my 20 week ultrasound.

The best friend is moved out of her house. I passed it today on my way to work and managed not to cry. She's been 8 minutes away for so long now...and now she's not and this is just the first part. I don't want to even think about next month, and therefore I am not.

So I think I have indirectly gotten my closure*. It's sad that nearly 7 years of friendship is just over like that, but I guess that's just the way it is.

*Note, I am NOT talking about best friend. Silly people.


Read and post comments | Send to a friend

3 comments:

zombie a said...

((hugs)) to you and the Princess and the whole family.

bookishbiker said...

I'll be thinking incredibly-fast-healing thoughts for everyone on Monday.
re: closure - I only think it's necessary to say something directly if you think it will a) allow you to stop being in touch if you don't want to be and/or b) if you will get something out of it. No need to do it just to be tidy. But I'm glad you got it, I guess, since you don't seem upset about it :-)
Just think of it as yet another weeding project in life.

The Nice Librarian said...

Um, what do you mean, you are only willing to check out so many books from the library?????? You are required as an employee to check out LOTS of books. What, are our books not good enough for you? I am personally offended. Humph. And now I feel guilty for taking the Eclipse book from you, it is a nice fluffy book that does not require much focus. Sorry. I'm halfway done with it, and damn it, she hasn't had sex with the vampire yet. Sigh.